02 May 2014

stereoscopic images

Bare with me as these images require a little instruction for viewing...

When I printed these out as 8x10"s for class, I found they were a challenge for some people to see. Not everyone could pull off the 3D effect. My husband finds them difficult. Maybe it's because he has astigmatism, but that's just my theory, frankly.

I discovered, rather by accident, that I could see those old fashioned images created for stereoscopic viewers, just by focusing beyond the image itself, requiring the same concentration given to those magic eye posters in the 90's. You need to keep your eyes level with the image, and stay still until it "pops" into focus. Either cross your eyes to slowly bring the two photos together, or try to focus on a depth beyond that of the image. Everybody's screen size and resolution is different, so view them on the smaller side; not larger than 7" across.

I found one trick is to position your screen at your arm's length away, actually put your finger tip at the bottom, center of the image (below the white, vertical line), then raise a finger on your other hand at elbow or forearm level (of the extended arm), focusing on the finger. Without changing your eye's depth of field, you should see that the two images beyond have now combined into one. Your eyes will be slightly crossed. Whew! Weren't expecting eye exercises today, were you!?

I actually think the effect is better if you look beyond the image, like 50 yards, but apparently I've found a weird talent that I will never find any use for beyond my own amusement.

There are actually 3D cameras out there, but these were taken with my trusty Canon by taking two shots, one step to each side, then making sure they lined up horizontally in potato-chop. For tabletop, shots, I only moved a couple inches left/right.

All that said, it may be that all you see, and all you'll ever see, is two similar images next to each other. No big deal. Sorry for the workout. Instead, please enjoy them for what they are. An April weekend in Wisconsin.















Note: I normally link images from flickr, but they've stopped me from doing so, marking my work as "restricted" due to my having a handful burlesque images. So, now I have 4,000 images to go through. No further comment at this time.  :P

Should you want to view these in different sizes, here is a link to the set. The triple circle (ooo) icon on each individual image's far right, features on All Sizes option. Just an FYI for anyone's image you wish to see larger.

BTW, happy Friday!!

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

whew! took me a bit of work, but i got every one of them, finally. i kept trying to get the 2 separate images to disappear when i got the 3rd in the middle. finally just relaxed and focused on the center one and could enjoy the 3D. :)

we had(have?) one of those 3D cameras. :)

TexWisGirl said...

the shoe sign and the trees w/ aspens backdrop were my 2 faves! the elephant worked well, too!

Koryn said...

Okay... I just read through this very quickly now. I'm bookmarking it for later for when I'm less stressed haha coz I wanna drink in the full effect of these photos.

But I must say, I'm very curious about them!

Mandy Southgate said...

Very cool! I have quite a serious astigmatism but I was able to see the 3D effect but not get the outer images to disappear. My favourites were the cocktails sign and the image below it.

I post using windows live writer and that posts my images straight to Picasa without me having to add the code into my posts. If your images are less than 800px on the shortest side, they are "free" and not counted towards your storage space either. I know that doesn't help for your long term gallery requirements but it might be a solution for your blogging needs. The only thing I do is keep my gallery private from my Google + page.

bon bon said...

thanks mandy! the outer images shouldn't disappear so you nailed it!

i know that google/picasa are interactive, but i suppose i've been using flickr for so long that it's just been my go-to storage source. i think they charge $25 a year and are unlimited, which seems reasonable. free does sound better though. ;)

older stuff

little known facts

My Photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.