07 September 2013

corpse flower

corpse flower prior to eating child
soocp

corpse flower, post belch 

Also from August.

My son asked if I wanted to check out the corpse flower at the UW greenhouse with him. Considering this puppy only blooms for a few days every half dozen years, you really can't say no to such a venture. You can however say no to your mother when she asks you to stand next to it so you can have a body/size reference. I don't know this kid, but he obliged his mother. *clears throat*

Just two days later, Hubster and I were in town so we went back to see if it had bloomed yet. And it had! Except the greenhouse isn't open on Saturdays. Hmmm. So, let me get this straight. You have this huge, freak of nature plant, that smells of rotting flesh when it opens, and blooms for approximately 36 hours every, oh...four years or more; and you couldn't hire a few horticulture students to hang around for the weekend?

What. The. What.

I had to take this second shot with my camera pressed against the glass to remove the glare, so that's the best I can offer. A dozen other folks walked up in the ten minutes we were there with the same "aren't they open?" thoughts. I guess we can all thank them for sparing us it's awful smell.

But, for all I know, someone could be playing an elaborate hoax on us, the unsuspecting public, and it actually smells like fresh bread or bed linens on a clothesline in a warm, summer breeze.

I mean, consider Iceland.

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

LOL!!! WTF!?!~?!&@#

:)

Our photos said...

Beautiful photos!
Greetings, RW & SK

Koryn said...

I think this is the first time I've seen a photo of your son! He looks all grown up :) How old is he?

Oh and don't worry, for a shot taken from behind a glass, it looks pretty crisp ;)

bon bon said...

Koryn, you may need to reread this post. MY son is 30.
;)

Koryn said...

Oh, haha, my bad!

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.