25 July 2013

monday night's storm

storm rolling through

storm rolling through

storm rolling through

My film camera has a wide angle lens but my dslr does not. The first would have made it easier to capture a larger slice of the sky instead of randomly pointing in a general direction hoping lightening would fill my frame. But I didn't think to drag it out at the time. And in that case, it would've been another month before I had the film developed. Pros vs cons. Either way, I do not condone standing outside during an electrical storm with a metal tripod.

The first image was left open the longest, probably 90 seconds. You can tell by the cloud movement. The second was more like 30 seconds since I felt I captured that bolt and that was all the light I needed. The third is probably somewhere in between. White balance was on auto so that's where the crazy purple hue comes from. I kind of liked it though and left it as is.

I follow a number of photography sites and thought this was an interesting video on night photography worth sharing. I've yet to shoot anything leaving my lens open for hours at a time, but I keep telling myself it'll happen one of these days nights.

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the middle one shows the 'classic' lightning strike everyone goes for, but i like your other two better! very cool - almost like hairs caught on your eyeball that you can see are there, but can't clear. :)

Buttons said...

WOW I love these and I shiver thinking of you standing out in that storm but SOOOOO worth it. Glad you did not die:)
Thank you for the link. I am going to check it out. I do not have DSLR I did however pick up a new roll of 35 mm film never opened at a thrift store I may have to go play for awhile. Have a nice weekend. Hugs B

Buttons said...

Oh Thank you I enjoyed every minute of that link. It was so beautiful now I want to go out in the dark and play. Hug B

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.