04 June 2012

dora and boots

dora the explorer cupcakes

dora the explorer cupcakes

I had a very busy weekend! And, I have myself to blame making these cupcakes for Oliver's birthday Saturday. I knew these would be time consuming, naturally. A trip to the store on Thursday, building the faces on Friday; then on Saturday morning, baking, adding the icing details and constructing them. I have to thank the hubster who made frosting for me while I was painting on their eyes and grins, because you need to "glue" these guys to the top of the cupcake. These were ready just in time for the party to start! I, however, hadn't showered or glued on my own face yet, so we were fashionably late to a three year old's party. But they were still in burger/brat mode when we arrived, so we were early as far as dessert is concerned.

I'm happy to say they were a big hit! With the bigger "kids," anyway. Ollie's dad said that he wouldn't eat Dora's face and probably would've appreciated these more if he were six. Well, God only knows what I'll be doing when Ollie turns six so I can't make any promises. They'll just have to pull out photos and say "Look! You must've been a good boy that year. What went wrong?" heh, heh.

Later that evening we grilled out with two other couples and I took along the extras. They were a hit there too. Especially considering Dora and Boots resemble one couple. L even calls K "monkey!" I believe it has something to do with his amount of back hair but happily, I cannot confirm. Such ridiculousness...

I'll share images of our bonfire from that night in the next post.

Happy monkey Monday, all!

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

here i thought you were helping out your cupcake pal, and you were doing it on your own! yikes! wish they shipped...

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Oh, what a job!! I couldn't eat them either - I mean, the little faces. The cupcakes would disappear in a jiffy... Yum!

Debbie said...

i don't know dora or boots and i am pretty happy i don't. these do however look amazing!!

the bonfire is a tad more appealing to me ;)))

Angela Acosta said...

these look wonderful.

Terri Buster said...

Wow- great job on the faces!

Nancy Claeys said...

You could seriously do this for a living -- great job!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

WOW! Awesome job on the cuppie cakes

Melissa said...

These are amazing! Did you hand cut the face pieces?? how did you get such nice sharp hair and small detail? I am in awe - and would love to know your secret! Fabulous job!

bon bon said...

thank you, melissa! you didn't share your email so i hope a response here is ok...

yes, these are hand cut with the tip of a sharp knife, using a template i resized off the internet. no secret really. just pretty time consuming. if i had to charge i'd need to ask $10 a cupcake! lol! so, liking the individual child and their willingness to accept dessert INSTEAD of a gift is key. ;)

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.