15 March 2012

sappin' season II: revenge of the maples

stuck
stuck

birdhouse
au naturale

still early yet
dad looking as happy as a clam

the soft maples are budding
the soft maples are budding

max liked the swing by the creek
max liked the swing by the creek "careful buddy, there's a bear behind you!"

"too far, kensi! turn around!"
"too far, kensi! turn around!"

"ok! i'm coming..."
"ok! i'm coming...!"

liquid gold
liquid gold

How did it get to be Thursday already?

Scratch that...How did it get to be the middle of March already?! Sapping season came and went faster then you could say "waffles!" Dad called Saturday to say he was tapping trees and would be cooking Sunday, but I was coming down off a two-day migraine and wasn't sure I wanted to take the trip up there. But, by Sunday, a quiet day in the woods felt like just the ticket. See the rest of the shots here if you like.

This week, we are seeing temps in the 70ºs in southern Wisconsin. We slept with all the windows open last night! It's bonkers! I can't rake all of winter's refuse off my crocus, tulips and daffodils fast enough. And not to be a Debbie Downer but we just got five inches of snow ten days ago, so who says that crap is done with?

Meanwhile, the pugs are sitting by the windows, panting. Already too hot for those little, black turds.

*******
Hmm, this seems like a fitting post for Nancy's Rural Thursday.  :o)

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

aww. glad (and jealous) that you got some home time! hope that headache is long gone, too! sheesh!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Yum, love maple syrup! The clouds behind the trees look so crazy!

Buttons said...

Oh these are totally awesome shots your Dad is very handsome:)
I wrote a piece about sap tomorrow but I like the family cooking thing better.
Just an awesome post, I am at my Mom's and have a 4 liter jug in my Jeep I cannot wait to crack. I just picked it up. Yummy. B

beth said...

i think the middle of march already and this warm are the big questions of the day :)
love the birdhouse photo....and what the heck...that skull in a tree....hmmmm :)

Reena Walkling said...

Love that skull tree ... and this awesome weather!

Nancy Claeys said...

Wonderful set of photos, K. I was dealing with a bit of a headache for the past two days as well -- we'll blame it on the weather. :)

Thanks so much for sharing at Rural Thursday -- I appreciate that you took the time to put this together. xoxo

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

I LOVE that rustic birdhouse...and the liquid gold. YUMMMM

Angela Acosta said...

This weather has me confused and anxious at the same time. Warm weather is way too early. I don't know what to do first when I get out of work, go buy more paint to finish the inside of my house or get out in the garden to save it so I'll have blooms this year! Nooooooo please stay cold another month! I can only do one thing at a time.

I love the photo of the budding maples.

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.