21 August 2011

forgotten

forgotten

forgotten b/w

We've driven by this abandoned property that sits just outside of town, a thousand times. Right now, at the height of summer, you can't even see the buildings due to all the trees and brush. I still look that way even though currently, there's nothing to see.

On this day, I was returning home, had my camera, and two gentlemen stood talking in the garage of the house across the street. I pulled over and asked if they owned the property, and whether they cared if I shot it. They didn't. So, I spent the next 45 minutes roaming through waist high brush (thorny ones too) shooting all this beautiful decay. This was my first look in the barn.

Now, of course, I want to go back and do some night shots. But the terrain was so full of branches, old fencing, and metal I'd probably break an ankle and become breakfast for coyote.

Maybe when the snow returns. Then you'll see me from the road.

Linking to Tammy's—
  

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, this would be a great link-up for barn charm tomorrow afternoon!!! love that top shot!!!

and thanks for not becoming coyote chow!

Andy said...

I just love when I find places like this to photograph. Keep on clicking.

Tammy said...

I often wish I could get closer to some of the old barns I pass by.

I can just see you pushing through the brush and debris. It was worth the effort.

Thanks for linking up with "behind the camera" this week.

Tammy said...

Your comment prompted me to Google waterproof camera bags.

I see bags with waterproof bottoms, and the underwater bags that you can put your camera in and actually shoot under water. I'm not sure I would want to trust submerging it, but that might be a nice option for kayaking.

Thanks for the idea....something new to add to the wish list :)

Debbie said...

2 amazing photo's, with an awesome story!!!

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Lovely. Don't you love places like this? I could get lost in it for hours. Really great shot.

And..I'll have to tell my husband about this link up!

Rose said...

OH, you got to link this to Tricia Barn Charm meme....it should open in a little while at http://bluffareadaily.blogspot.com

I love this and there are more there that will appreciate it. It is not a huge meme yet...but any is better than none.

Rose said...

Forgot to say I do not have a barn at the barn this comment links back to...mine is at Time Stand Still:
http://rose-treadway.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

I am CRAZY about these shots!

Saun said...

Awesome, I love old places can't wait for the snow shots :)

Tricia said...

Awesome! And I have to say, Bravo for having the nerve to stop & ask to shoot the place... I can never bring myself to do that & look at what I'm missing... it's awful! And, to top it off, you did it by yourself *GASP* =0

watch out for coyotes heheheee

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

oohhhhhh Love these shots! You are a brave woman....I would have been scared to death of meeting Slim ...AKA snakes. YUCK!

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.