08 June 2011

heavy

heavy

My peonies have all burst open in the last two or three days! I went out (in the 90º heat) yesterday to take a few shots, but the few bunches I brought into the house are much happier then what's still out there, smoldering. This morning a freak thunderstorm came through so most of them are now lying on the ground. Along with about 45 pounds of tree limbs.

So, do you care to guess how I got the shot above? Hint...

No camera is needed!

Ok, enough suspense. I simply laid them on the scanner with the lid open. You've probably all done this with your face, right? Well, why not try it with something attractive? Ha! I'm speaking for myself there, folks.

I got a pretty scan of some tulips a few years ago, which worked much better than peonies. The weight of the peonies pressed them onto the glass, smashing them. After a couple different attempts, I decided a single flower was the best way to go. The two flowers in the background are being hand held. Verrrrrrry still. I also experimented moving the flowers.

But then I remembered I have homework now and should stop screwing around. Ah, things never change...

We've got more storms heading our way this evening. Because the thunder gods demand I collect branches twice in 24 hours. Homework be dammed!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Tricky! I am definitely going to have to try this before my flowers are all gone. Thanks for pulling away the curtain, Dorothy! ;)

Beautiful, no matter how you did it. My peonies are turning to mush. Why can't they last longer?

texwisgirl said...

love, love, love it! see, this is why you're an artist and i'm just someone who draws and takes pictures...

i love the little heart in the center bud. if you had time (which you don't!) you could link up to Guest Heart Thursday at
www.clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com

but you have homework. and tree limbs. :)

Samantha said...

I think you sent your storms our way..because we needed more downed limbs ;)

LOVED this, and will have to try this on some blooms.

Buttons said...

That works great the photo is amazing.
Now get to your homework. LOL
We had a terrible storm last night but I got awesome pics of the sky. B

bon bon said...

glad you all like it! here's a link to a flickr group of scans so you can get more inspiration!
this guys scans everything he brings home from the farmer's market! just amazing!

we had 100mph winds last night and the power was out for 8 hours! instead of the alarm clock, i woke up to chain saws.

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Fantastic! I cannot take my eyes off of it.
xxxx

beth said...

who knew ?
seriously, i didn't !!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Pretty dang creative there girl! I love the results!

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.