03 May 2011

my two cents, for what it's worth

On the topic of proof.

Just to play devil's advocate to those wanting to see Bin Laden's body (because that's what blogs are for, right?).  I think our government was making every effort to follow Islamic burial traditions, by disposing the body within a certain amount of time. They did not want to leave him with a grave site for followers to turn into a shrine, so a sea burial is viably acceptable. It probably won't please every Muslim, but consider the unique case we have here.

As for photos, I've heard there is proof, but wouldn't releasing them be fueling the flames, showing what "American terrorists are capable of"? DNA was taken of his body. It was confirmed and will be recorded. On MSNBC this morning, Condoleezza Rice was happy with how his remains were handled. I heard a blurb that Dick Cheney was satisfied as well. Why is this something just any body feels they have the right to see? We know very well that if they were released, the next qualm to hit the internet would be, "oh, those are photoshopped." There's really no pleasing anyone.

Especially Republicans during a Democratic presidency.

Where was the need for proof when Bush exalted "Mission Accomplished"? Or photos that Iraq had WMDs? God forbid if Obama had uttered "I'm the decider!" The GOP would've had a field day.

And then there's this whole birther movement...please.

But I'm quite sure I've already pissed off a number of people, so maybe I'll leave my opinions of Donald Trump for another day.

7 comments:

texwisgirl said...

Ruh Roh. She's on a rant! :)

I think there's a good possibility that Bin Laden's body is on ice somewhere - to be tested and retested and examined over and over again for years to come. But that's just my 'doubting Thomas' cynic rising up. Hey, if they did actually give him a sea send-off, then more power to them.

I agree with you on the photos. Don't go there. Tasteless. Proofless. No need.

Negerigeletschtempoit said...

Poor fishes... they have to eat him...

bon bon said...

;o)

of course, my rant is just opinion and assumption. i can't speak for the muslim faith on whether a "man of cloth" needs to be attendance for a burial. if so, maybe his body was buried, but they kept his brain for examination...

isn't hilter's sitting on someone's shelf somewhere?

bon bon said...

miriam, you're a riot!!

Dawn said...

I have no idea what to think....but it sure is interesting listening and reading everyone else's thoughts:)))

Cat said...

Yep. I agree with all that you said, I find it at very, very, VERY best, totally useless, and somewhat ghoulish, to release the photos. And to what point? Like the birther bit, people who believe it, will believe it. Those who don't, no proof will matter...

Cat

bon bon said...

thanks for the comments, gals! i promise to move on to less heady topics, and from now on will try to avoid posting during that time of the month...
;o)

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.