20 July 2007

sisters

sisters

Ermine, Emmoline, Ione, Adeline. Taken mid-1940's, at their Grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.

It wasn't until I typed out their names that I realized, how the heck do you spell those names? I know I have Gramma's (Emmoline) right. They went by Erm, Em, Ione and Ad. I can complicate things more by telling you those are their middle names. For some reason, many people went by their middle names back then. But that was usually because there would be three generations of Marys. These girls weren't named after anyone. My Gramma's real name is either Lowella or Lovella. I can't recall because no one has ever called her that, and I didn't know this fact myself until I was about twenty. Ione is Gramma's twin. (She's the Lowella or Lovella to Gramma's...oh nevermind) Whether those are Erm's and Ad's first name? I have no clue. Erm too was a twin but she died at birth. Their mother, my Great-gramma was also a twin. All fraternal. Those Prussian/German girls produced eggs like it they were supplying a caviar factory!

There are two more sisters not shown! To be named another day.

9 comments:

Olive said...

My paternal Grammie and Grandad also both went by their middle names. And on the other side, my "Grandma Molly" was really named Phyllis. Not sure how you get Molly from Phyllis! Guess they both do have double l's.

As for caviar, well, everybody knows the best eggs come from Prussia.

ALT - [f r a m e s] said...

My mother-in-law's full name is Fidelina Cecilia. "Fidelina": how effed up is that?

Anonymous said...

What?! Emmoline isn't grandma's frist name. I never heard that before!

J

Luke said...

Her grandma, not yours.

bon bon said...

i think that's what she was going for, luke, as her gramma is LaVerne. (yes, LaVerne is her real name, J.)

i don't feel so bad for not knowing until i was 20 now, as you're 30. heh heh...

Anonymous said...

I think I know who MY grandma is Luke. Its just less typing to refer to her as grandma instead of great grandma. See I just waited 5 sec of my life explaining that to you!

J

Luke said...

Maybe you should spend 15 or so seconds learning the rest of your family's names.

Oh, snap!

Anonymous said...

Luke: so when did YOU find out that that was her real name.....smart-ass!?

J

bon bon said...

alright you kids, break it up! save it for the mud pit at the reULEion next weekend!

older stuff

little known facts

My photo
fly over country, United States
this blog is my "live" photo album of sorts. occasionally, i'll throw in some art i've done or some work of my husband's as he's an artist as well. we have a nice yard in a quiet neighborhood with two pugs and a cat, all black. which most of my photos will attest too. ;) i'd love to hear from you, but happy for you to just browse. hope you find something to make you smile. b.